WORK IT WEDNESDAY: Priscilla Martinez, Revenue Auditor Supervisor
WORK IT WEDNESDAY
Revenue Auditor Supervisor
1. How did you choose your career?
Every since I was young it has been my dream to work in the accounting field. Growing up, I always thought working with numbers would help me make money. Even though money isn’t everything, I wanted to have a stable financial life.
2. In your opinion, what would you say are the top three characteristics/traits to be successful in your career?
Definitely, the top three characteristics for this field are being ethical, patient, and accurate.
3. What do you find most rewarding about your career?
Helping the company to be successful by investigating every department internally.
4. How would you rate your income?
I am very satisfied with my income, especially considering that this is my first accounting position and I’ve been patiently waiting for this opportunity. Of course, my income will continue to grow as I develop within my career. ☺
5. Is this what you always wanted? If not, how did you land into it?
Yes, this is want I’ve wanted to do ever since I could ever remember. I enjoy going to work every morning.
6. What is your background? Did you have to go to school for what you are doing?
I did earn my Bachelor of Arts in accounting and worked full-time throughout my schooling. I worked in the casino as a cocktail server, bartender, and an executive casino host. I worked every shift, weekends, and holidays. I even remember sacrificing family events for many years in order to be where I'm at. It was a struggle, and at times I couldn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. However, looking back now, I would not change a thing. Everything is starting to make sense to me now.
7. What is the best piece of advice you can give to someone who wants to be in your field?
Keep your eye on the prize and you will get there no matter what. It might take a very long time, but once you get there it’s the best feeling in the world.
8. Being a busy woman, what do you like to do on your free time?
Watching Netflix and chilling…… LOL JK
On my free time, I enjoy spending quality time with my boyfriend, shopping, cooking homemade food, and having barbecues with our families. Or simply having a classic dinner and a movie date.
9. What do you value most in a career? Ex. Money, fun, work life balance?
I definitely value work life balance because everyone has to work and enjoy life at the same time. It can’t always be about work, work, and work.
10. Do you have any other goals you strive to achieve?
Yes, earning a Masters of Business Administration in my thirties and completing a marathon.
11. What is the greatest lesson you have learned? What would you do differently if given a second chance?
The greatest lesson I have learned is to use people’s negativity for motivation. Given a second chance, I would prove them wrong and become their motivation.
12. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
In ten years, I will be 39 years old. I hope I would be married with kids and living happily ever after. Also, working as a controller at a huge company where I work mainly from home, so I can raise my kids.