Work It Wednesday: My Life In Fashion
MY LIFE IN FASHION...
Have you ever dreamt of a career in fashion? Careers in fashion seem so glamorous and upscale. You may picture yourself working in a fast past industry, meeting creative people, and working with the best designers. Although this may be the case, there is a flip side to working in such a competitive filed.
Meet Claudia Alvarado. When I met Claudia, all she talked about was fashion, labels, and the best places to shop. Her face lit up when she talked about the life she would live and I knew she was a city girl with big dreams.
The fashion industry can be a very competitive field. Claudia hit many road blocks along the way, struggling to break into her career field. But with persistence, commitment, and time, she earned her way in "the door".
Because of Claudia's ability to stay focused, and not give up, she is now living her dream of working as a Stylist. Today, Claudia has set new goals for herself and lends constructive advice to those seeking a career in the fashion industry as well...
Although Claudia admits it took time for her to earn a Stylist position, she is happy she never quit.
Get to know a little more about Claudia by reading her questionnaire below.
1. How did you choose your career?
I am currently working as a fashion stylist. I have always loved fashion. My mom has been in the fashion industry her whole life and inspired me to pursue it. I loved getting the September Issue of Vogue and going through the pages, I love shopping, and I love fashion week. I somehow always knew I would end up in this industry.
2. In your opinion, what would you say are the top three characteristics/traits to be successful in your career?
You need to have passion, you need to be hard working, and you need to be determined.
3. What do you find most rewarding about your career?
The clothes of course!
4. How would you rate your income?
It's decent, but I think any woman who works in the fashion industry doesn’t only do it for the income... they definitely do it with the mind set to become successful!
5. Is this what you always wanted? If not, how did you land into it?
Working in the fashion industry is what I always wanted, but I didn’t know how to get there. In college, I studied sociology. I wasn’t sure how women became celebrity stylists, or fashion editors. All I knew is eventually I wanted to be one of them.
6. What is your background? Did you have to go to school for what you are doing?
I graduated from University of Santa Barbara with a Sociology Degree. Eventually, when I went back to Los Angeles, I got my Fashion Styling Degree.
7. What is the best piece of advice you can give to someone who wants to be in your field?
Definitely go get your BA, go network, intern or assist for super stylists, don’t be afraid to work hard, and never give up!
8. Being a busy woman, what do you like to do on your free time?
I love to go shopping, watch movies, go have nice dinners, and go to sport games!
9. What do you value most in a career?
Fun and Creativity! If I don’t have fun and can’t be creative, I don’t like to do it.
10. Do you have any other goals you strive to achieve?
I would love to be a fashion editor one day.
11. What is the greatest lesson you have learned?
I wish I could have started younger to be honest, but its never to late to start... that is the greatest lesson I have learned!
12. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I see myself married and still working in the fashion industry. I am very happy with my career choice.